Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tryin Not To Be Cross While Keepin' 'em Crossed

Yesterday started out as an okay day. I had to work in the Bellingham PacSun in the morning so I got up, swung by Jack in the Box, got myself a chicken sandwich and a Kona Coffee Shake [no fries to add up to $6.66 though], and drove up to the store. I listened to Jason Mraz on the way because he is just so easy to listen to! I got to the store and the first thing I had to do was markdowns on some of the guys' merchandise. It's one thing to help out another store; it's another to have a workload to do when you don't feel right telling other employees [who aren't your own] what do to. I mean, I can do it just fine, I just don't feel as good getting things done at another store because I don't know what progress the store is doing in other areas, like I do my own. Anywho, we got those done and I just basically helped customers all morning.

My lunch was from 1:00 to 2:00. I called my gramma to see if I could visit her. She was at the lake reading and said she would enjoy the company. I knew exactly how to get there, which is kind of weird because I don't live in Bellingham and I don't drive it much. I knew the quickest route to get to and from the freeway to Alabama hill and to the lake. I got there pretty quickly and had a nice little visit with her on the bright and sunny day.

On my way back I got another call from the woman in Marysville working at the PetCo. I called her back [screen calls that aren't programmed into my phone] and told her that I was looking for somewhere a bit closer. She knew I applied at the Mount Vernon location and understood where I was coming from. Not even ten minutes later before I got back to the store, I got another phone call from a number I didn't recognize. Can you guess who it was?

...that's right. Washington Federal Savings to set up an interview! After a bit of phone tag [lasting from the time I got back until about 4:00], we scheduled an interview for Thursday morning because I close that day. How exciting! I am not getting my hopes up, but those would be dream hours, a close location, and a job with a lower level of stress. Although I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I don't make a fool out of myself [with my dress pants "hemmed" with safety pins because I have little stump legs].

After I clocked out at 6:00, I drove up North to visit with my sister, her dad, and her gramma. Turns out my mom, little sister, and her two friends had the same idea! We were all there visiting and I took lots of pictures for a project I'm trying to do.















They turned out really good! B-Ray had to get in a shot or two. He's so stinkin cute!

After this, I went to the store, got some picture frames and a picture collage thing, some dressy shoes, and some hose socks and went home. For some reason, I was really emotional [it also didn't help that Andrew and I watched the last two episodes of Six Feet Under] and I let myself cry for a while. I honestly have nothing to be upset over, besides the fact that my job sucks and I always get shafted it seems. But Andrew was the amazing man he is and held me through my emotional baby time.

This morning I had to be to work by 8:00. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep because we were up late watching the episodes, so I got dressed quickly, swung by Jack-in-the-Box again [it's just so quick and inexpensive!] for a chicken sandwich and a Kona Coffee Shake [they should know my order by now] and I got to work early. We got about six or seven pages of merchandise to be marked down so I got right to work [and even forgot to clock in!]. Most of it was guys' t-shirts, guys' shorts, and girls' tank tops. I got started on the guys' t-shirts by scanning each style and seeing if it rang up as a sale price.

...Two hours later I am nearing the end of the tees. Josh comes in to work and I have him finish while I start the shorts. I am still feeling pretty icky from being upset and not wanting to be at work at this point. Why does corporate feel the need to overwhelm us with a tremendous workload and only give us two people at a time on the sales floor all day to help with customers and still get everything done? It's very stressful.

And by the way, check this out:


Notice anything that isn't signed? Me too.

I got off at 2:00 today [6 lame hours of work] and went looking for nicer dress pants to wear to the interview. Turns out that no one will ever carry these pants in my length because no one in the entire world has as short of legs as I do. It's unreal.

I then came home to the best surprise in the entire world. I can say with 100% certainty that this is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me; Andrew went to the store and got a special kind of bath bubbles to make your skin super silky, a pillow that sticks to the side of the tub, three tropical scented candles, a hand held Yahtzee game [that I've been wanting for the bathroom; don't lie... you want one too now], two new towels for me to use, and a new bath rug. He also made me a frozen mocha in the blender and had it sitting on the edge of the tub for me. He told me to relax and stay in as long as I wanted and to let him know if I needed anything. I'm getting teary-eyed just typing this.

It was the best bath I have ever taken; extremely relaxing and just what I needed! I also had some fun visitors:






I got out of the tub, got dressed in some comfortable sweats and a loose shirt, and we relaxed and took a nap on the couch. I then went to get up and paint my closet [so that I could get my boxes of crap out of Andrew's room] and he told me to relax and he would do it. I went to blog about this amazing surprise and relaxing afternoon when I got the call.

The other manager closing tonight hurt her foot and had to go to the emergency room. No managers from any other store were willing to help, and our store manager is at a concert for the second time this week; the same concert she went to two days ago. So, of course, I have to come in and close the same day I opened.

I always am the one to bend over backwards to keep the store afloat when it comes to helping out other stores, switching shifts with other managers so that everyone can work, getting projects done because no one else does them, and always coming in when I'm called to. I care more about the store than the store manager, do more for the store, am available for any questions and help needed, and get paid way way way way less. It's not fair, it's not worth it, and I don't want to do it anymore. So I told everyone, including the store manager through a text because she's at the concert, that Friday, the day after tomorrow, will be my last day. This way, if I do get another job somewhere, I can start immediately. And if I don't get another job yet, I have money in my savings to tie me over, and I will try not to spend as much money knowing that I can't really afford it.

After work [which went by fast, thank goodness], I came home and Andrew had finished painting everything in my room. So tomorrow, I can move all my stuff back in. I am extremely excited!

And now, we're watching South Park. That's right, we're on episode two and enjoying the humor of Cartman and his friends. Off to watch!

No comments: