Friday, August 22, 2008

A Blogging Barista

It is so incredibly frustrating when your computer does not cooperate. Mine has been running slow for the last few days--so slow in fact, that I restored my operating system to see if that would help. Now my computer is back to basics [a completely refreshing feeling if I do say so myself] and I am still having a hard time with the speed that my programs are running. The Internet is running very slowly as well, but that isn't my computer's fault. It's just very time consuming getting all of my programs re-installed [PhotoShop, IE7, WMP11, Microsoft Office, Macromedia, etc.].

With my interview being about an hour away, I took the time to put PhotoShop back onto my computer as well as update my Internet Explorer. I cannot deal without Internet Tabs and I don't know why. Once you get used to something, it's hard to revert to older ways.

At least Notepad stays the same.

A bagel with strawberry flavored cream cheese and a banana mocha smoothie later, I got dressed up for my second interview. Nervous, I carefully placed Murphy in his pen so that his light and fine hairs wouldn't get stuck to my entirely black outfit. Considering that the manager told me that the dress code was black tops, the optional colored layer underneath, dark bottoms, and close-toed shoes, that's what I wore! Of course, I dressed it up a notch wearing dress pants, shiney flats, a v-neck thin long-sleeve "sweater," a pink sash around my waist, and a matching pink underlayer tank. It looked business-y with a little flair!

I drove to the stand and parked in the same spot I parked in for the first interview. I got there fifteen minutes early and waited for an opening at the drive-up window to ask if the manager was there yet. There wasn't an opening until noon on the dot when I went in. The manager from the Bellingham branch was there and the manager of that location was not. She basically sat me down, said she heard great things about me and wanted to meet with me, asked what my plans were and if I could be there at 4:00 on Monday.

I have a job!

It is minimum wage [$8.07/hr in Washington State] but tips on top of that might make up for my decrease in pay. The dress code is actually plain black tops, jeans, and black close-toed shoes [a memo hadn't been received at that branch so the other manager didn't know], so that's what I'm going to wear on my first day! I am so nervous.

I drove home, called a bunch of people to tell them the news, and then went to the mall to pick up two basic black tops and a pair of cheap black close-toed shoes. I do believe that was a little bit of a rhyme there. From here I picked up the dogs and went to my mom's house for a dog play-date and to visit for a bit. Goose and Cracker [her dogs] aren't too friendly. Cracker is a yapper and very territorial. Moses is a billion times his size and it's very intimidating, I imagine. Goose never used to be a brat, but I think she's just getting old and sick of everything. If Cracker gets to bark and be a brat, Goose can too. Why not? So Moses and Murphy wanted to play with them and they didn't want to play back. Cracker ended up freaking out on Moses, barking like CRAZY, and Murphy stood up for him. My little corgi standing up for an almost 4-year-old Newfie/Chow mix. Imagine that.

I then came home and started working on a little project. Danielle [now ex-coworker] said she would pay me to fix up her MySpace. She told me what she was looking for design-wise and I told her I would play around with stuff if she found the right pictures. I also said that she should sketch out what she wanted, scan it, and send it to me so I could get it exactly how she wants it. I just came home and played around with Photoshop, some pictures online, and her profile.

This is her old profile. And this is her newly re-designed one. I hope she likes it. If she doesn't, that's alright. I think it's pretty cool; much more reader-friendly than the other busy layout.

And now I'm going to watch some more Sex and the City because I have the night off. Andrew should be home in an hour and a half, so the time should go by fairly quickly.

My first blog as a hired barista. Sweet!

No comments: