Tuesday, August 26, 2008

2 Out of 8 Ain't Bad!

Amazing. It's simply amazing that someone can rattle off gibberish at a window, and all these girls around me can take that gibberish and make a completely delicious, perfect drink and have it be exactly what that gibberish meant. I'll know how to do it soon, but it'll be kind of scary on my first shift by myself. What if I forget something? I'm going to look like a dummy! This morning I woke up thinking about what goes in what drink and how many shots are in what size.

I guess that's a good sign; studying while you sleep.

My first shift last night went pretty well. I filled out my W4 faster than I ever had before [with the experience of explaining every line to new hires at PacSun, I knew exactly what to write]. It's not difficult, don't get me wrong; it's just that government paperwork is sometimes hard to decipher. After this, I went through counting things [much like perpetuals at PacSun] and learned the basics on where everything is. I was in the way for the most part of the shift, so I started studying real hard on what goes into what drink. I'm not going to be actually making the drinks until tomorrow, I believe, but why not educate myself before I dive right in?

I made little fill-in-the-blanks this morning for what goes in certain drinks and during my shift tonight, if it's slow, I'll test myself. It's not too hard and I'm sure I'll get it down.

This morning, I watched the "Is it worth your life?" robbery safety video for work. It's funny how they are stressing this so much. I don't want to freak out about getting robbed all the time. Ick! It was kind of funny though. Not as funny as the food handler's permit video with a kid puking in a toilet because he got sick from food contamination.

I passed with flying colors, so tonight when I walk into work, I'll have all my paperwork filled out, a copy of my license [isn't it sweet to have a scanner / copier / printer all in one?? Definitely worth what we paid for it], and the food handler's permit all ready for my manager to file away. I hope she's surprised!

It's kind of cool that she knows how hard I am willing to work. I know, without any kind of conceitedness, that I am a great employee, and I think she sees that. I took the earlier of the two morning shifts she was hiring for [4am to noon on Sat and Sun], which was the harder shift to get covered. I told her I want a lot of hours and am willing to come in whenever because A.) I live five minutes away, B.) I'm saving up whatever tips I make for a camera, C.) I love working, and D.) all I do in my spare time is eat and watch movies [I didn't tell her that part]. She took a call from the Bellingham store manager and I heard her say that I was working really hard and was willing to cover shifts, "Which is really cool." I'm pretty sure I have 4 set days as of this moment: Sat and Sun 4am to noon, Mon 10am-4pm, and Thurs 11am-5pm. That's 28 hours there, which is the exact amount I need to work every week to pay my bills [not including tips]. Perfect, perfect, perfect!

I am very excited.

After getting my food handler's permit, I went to WalMart to get some more black tops. If I'm going to work eight days in a row [day two today!], then I have to be ready for it! I only had three shirts that made the cut for the dress code, so I needed more. After trying some on, I picked out two basic crew-neck tees, a v-neck tee, and a long-sleeve cowl neck top with the vertical lines that old ladies wear [you know exactly what I'm talking about]. I then snagged one of the basic crew-neck sweatshirts from the guys' department and checked out. The woman forgot to ring up one of the crew-neck tees and I realized it in the car. I got a sweet free t-shirt!

So I am pumped up, excited, prepared, and looking forward to my shift tonight. I have a little under two hours before I have to go, so I'm going to take the squirts [dogs] on a walk and possibly read a little bit more. Almost done with Harvest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I FOUND YOUR BLOG SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!! now i have to check back every couple of days to update myself on your life!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh) so keep it coming!