Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Day The Living Room Stood Still

I heard the rumbling around 11:25 in the morning. After showering a long and hot shower, I was helping Andrew make a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast. It has been proven that his scrambled eggs are the best in the entire world [proven by word of mouth, of course]. He also makes the best food with cheese; no matter what it is, if it has cheese in it or on it, his version will be better than anyone else's. Back to the point, I heard the rumbling while I was spreading the peanut butter and jelly on Andrew's toast. He didn't hear what I heard but noticed that Moses was barking outside. While I remained in the kitchen, finishing up the toast, Andrew pulled up the projector screen to see the delivery truck with United Furniture Warehouse along the side.

Our couch and chair have arrived.

And you better believe that I am reclined in the sectional right about now. I'm pretty sure my back is in heaven; this is a much better blogging center than the previous couch where I would sit with my feet under me, knees sideways, and my laptop on my thighs with my spine twisted and my neck kinked.

Anyway, the couch arrived in its five pieces, all packaged up in a cloth covering and plastic over the top, and the recliner came in two pieces in plastic wrap. We took the recliner pieces out of the wrapping and slid them together; the pieces literally slid together, like a puzzle with only two pieces. With the help of felt foot stick-ems, we slid the recliner to its final place in the corner of the room.

The sectional took a little bit longer to assemble. We moved the black couch that we still have into the hallway, unpackaged the five pieces, added the felt stick-ems to the feet [only one short with the package we got, and that's okay!], and assembled the sectional, which was like a five-piece horizontal puzzle. It slid to its final position and magically was centered underneath the black cabinet we mounted without measuring.

It was meant to be.

The black couch was then positioned in its original spot against the wall that adjoins to the door-wall. With the rugs in place, the furniture ready to sit everyone, and the sweet cabinet in place, everything looks amazing.



The chair...



Don't mind the mess on the table. :-(


With the house looking amazing, I started getting grumpy knowing that the sink was overflowing with dirty dishes. Instead of doing them, I wanted to get out of the house and get some fresh air and some exercise. So Andrew, Moses, Murphy, and I all headed out for a walk. We went the same route but flipped directions around the block, walking toward the random stop sign from the back. On the way, we walked over a sewer grate with slits. I told Murphy to watch his paws and he literally pulled a ninja move and jumped, tapped the curb beside it, and landed on the other side of the grate.

Not lying.

Then it was off to the dump. Let me tell you, it was one stinky trip. Gross gross gross! We pulled into the bay and Andrew's friend pulled into the bay next to us. This means I didn't have to get out and help! Not lazy, just a little sore from bending over the day before getting tack strips and staples up out of the floor. Apparently everything in the truck bed slid right out; we laid Ashley's old mattress into the bed first, the box spring next, and all the carpeting and the carpet padding last. The box spring slid right off with everything on top. Good times!

We came home and I was still grumpy. I'm pretty sure it was because A.) I was sore, B.) the stack of dishes in the sink were so high, C.) the fact that I don't have a job, D.) wondering why I have to do a second interview at BigFoot Java [who does a second interview now-a-days, especially a coffee stand?? I'm bringing a change of clothes in case they want me to start working instead of doing an interview; maybe she got her wording wrong and instead of "interview" she meant "training"], D.) worrying that I won't do good at the interview and that I'll be out of luck with a job again, E.) knowing what camera I want, seeing it everywhere, and not being able to have it yet, especially without a job to help pay it off, and F.) knowing that Murphy can't come cuddle with me in the new couch or the new recliner.

But it's amazing how much doing the dishes can make you un-grumpy. It's a productive chore and although no one likes doing the dishes, it's comforting knowing that all the dishes were clean, the counters were wiped off, and the kitchen looked semi-decent, matching the new living room and dining room.

After the dishes were done, we went to Fred Meyer and picked up some curtains for the dining room. We wanted some tan/brown ones that block lots of light because that window light makes the projector screen hard to see, so we got them. It's crazy how expensive house stuff can be! We needed two curtains and each was $30. Ah! We also got some croutons because I was running low. And I needs my salad.

I needs it.

And now here I am, burger in my tummy, feet up, kickin back, listening to Andrew visit with his mom with a chirp from Sam every now and then. Tonight is about a relaxing time watching Reality Bites with Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo. Anything with Janeane is fine by me.

She rocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so... stumbled across this by accident. i would be the Andrew that sold you your sectional and recliner. i have to say, it's awfully cool to see pictures of it in someone's house, and cool to see that you guys are happy with it!

i love good customers, and you guys were some of the best!