Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting 'em Up Again

I wanted to take the dogs for a walk this morning, but a welcomed change in the weather prevented me from doing so. The trickling of a misty and hardly noticeable Washington rain dissuaded me from getting the small bit of walking exercise that the dogs and I needed. Instead of walking, I got myself ready for the day; this means I actually got dressed, brushed [wow!] and straightened my hair, and put make-up on. My goal was to apply at more places because it is getting ridiculous how much money I am going to take out of my savings to pay for bills and my out-of-control spending habits [not so out-of-control when I have a job to support it], and I had to look presentable.

With gas prices as high as they are [even after a slight dip], why waste it driving around and asking if places are hiring and look like a fool if they're not? I called a bunch of places, all of which were not hiring but "always accepting applications" [a line I programmed into my auto-response function at PacSun when job inquiries came]... all of which until I dialed BigFoot Java's number.

Is it because BigFoot's body has allegedly been found? Is it because of this that fate had me dial the number? I applied a long while ago [last October!] and being as it is a coffee stand [tips = compensation for pay decrease from a position of management to the bottom position in a new company], I was still interested. It was about 1:30 and the girl who answered the phone passed it on to the manager [who wasn't supposed to be there at the time... fate again?] who asked if I could come in for an interview at 3:45. Literally, this one phone call got me an interview two hours and fifteen minutes later.

Now what was I going to do to pass the time without passing the interview time? I grabbed the video from last night, swung by my folks' house, picked up two of the movies there, went to Hollywood Video, returned the three movies, and picked out a movie with the MVP deal for free [I grabbed A Beautiful Mind. Although Russell Crowe is heinous to look at, he was good in Gladiator and the movie won best picture in 2001, so why not? It has the dad from Stepmom, the girl from Requiem for a Dream and the kid from Rent, Adventures in Babysitting, and I just now see an episode of "The X-Files" and my favourite movie, Twister].

From here I went to the mall to Ritz Camera to learn some more about SLR digital cameras [the big fancy ones with the removable lenses]. The employee told me about the good ones to start out with, and I'm thinking I want a Canon EOS Digital SLR Camera with at least 10.1 megapixels [12+ would be amazing!] with the basic 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 image stabilizer lens to start out with, getting a 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 IS lens later on, a flash, and a tripod when the time and funds came. This'll be kind of spendy.

I then went to PacSun to visit people and see my old manager and see how things were going. I was basically ignored and rushed out. I'm not quite sure if that's how it was meant to go, but I don't really feel welcome in there anymore, and I guess I can see why: I got out and they're still stuck in the bullshit that is PacSun.

Then, I drove to BigFoot Java, parked, and waited until the drive-up window was empty. I walked up, resume in hand, and asked for Kiara [I remembered cause it sounded like "tiara" but with a "k"; how juvenile]. She wasn't there, so I waited inside the stand. Inside. I saw everything from the employee's location; let me tell you, it looked super fun and super organized. When she arrived, I went around the corner to the manager's room and had a brief chat with Kiara, the manager. She was 22, not even two years older than me, and seemed super nice. We ended up chatting about her vacation she had just gotten back from as well as how things run at the stand. She said I would find out either tonight or in the next couple days whether or not I got the job. So basically it went extremely well and I'm getting my hopes up, like I always do.

I then came home, made a delicious salad from my recently chopped up romaine head, ate some pizza and some cheesy bread wheel slices, drank a soda, and watched about five episodes of Sex and the City.

What else can I do to distract myself from staring at my phone like a creep?

No comments: