Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sort it, Serve it, Paint it, Enjoy it!

My first full day off was today. I started it out with a nice long shower. Why not? Then Andrew and I brought my folks' vacuum back to their house. After visiting for a while [and agreeing to spending more time with my youngest sister, Samantha, who is turning out to be the exact replica of my out-of-control now-18-year-old sister, Brittany], we got some Jack-in-the-Box and came home to enjoy an episode of Six Feet Under.

Can you believe Andrew's already halfway through season four? There are five seasons total and he is literally catching up to me with how many full television series I have seen. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to watch Sex and the City all the way through [not many guys do and that's okay], but I have the first 10 seasons of South Park that I have yet to devour [although I have seen quite a few episodes and a few full seasons] and I hope he'll be up for that next.

South Park is a little overlooked. The show is much like The Daily Show with John Stewart, the news segments of MadTV, and The Onion with its commentary and humorous edge over news events and hot topics of society. Sure, some of it is a little controversial, but its comedic timing and long-running side plots [references to past episodes, sex- and orientation-changes through characters continuing past one episode, two- and three-part episodes, etc.] keep the audience's attention--and anticipation for new episodes--high. Yes, it is a cartoon show, but sometimes that's how it has to be. The Simpsons was an extremely popular and amazing show [watched and analyzed in my high school's Humanities class] and it too was a cartoon. I think the method in delivering the message is irrelevant these days, and hopefully cartoons for adults can keep the world filled with humor as well as an attention to current events.

Anyway, after Six Feet Under, I organized the tupper ware in our cupboard [lids with no containers!] and found a nice place to put my two contributions, one of which is the Smart Spin:




Pretty amazing huh? I made room for this bad boy and then I cleaned my room while Andrew cleaned his brother's carpets. I got everything organized, moved my shelf into the "drum" room [space between the kitchen and the living room where Andrew's drums are] and put my extra DVDs, books, beads, etc. on it. I then cleaned up everything else--including the inside of my closet filled with plastic and tote bags, hats, shoes, CD albums, etc.--and swept swept SWEPT! I had a dust rabbit the size of Murphy when I was done. I don't understand where it all came from! I'm hardly ever in there! Not that I'm dusty or anything. I then left my dresser at an angle, brought out my DVD shelf to give to Ashley as a house warming present, and called it good!

After this, Andrew and I went to WalMart because I wanted to look at under-the-bed storage containers, paint for my future room [I was going to leave it the color it is, but if I can have it whatever color I want, why not do it that way?], and some housewarming stuff for Ashley. We first looked at $5 movies to see if Emperor's New Groove happened to be there. It wasn't. From here we went to look at paint! I picked out a paint chip called "Gaucho" [2096-40]:


I wanted that and Andrew said I had to have a white ceiling or else it will look dark and much like a "poop room." So we decided on that color with a white trim and ceiling. I'm excited! But I didn't know how expensive it was! Andrew said it ranges from about $35-40 a gallon. Ah! So I didn't get any while we were at the store because we could possibly find a better deal elsewhere. From here we swung by under-the-bed storage. I decided against it because what on Earth do I have to store under my bed, besides dust bunnies? So we went through the laundry section and got basically the sweetest contraption I have ever experienced:


We got a different one than is shown, but it's a three-section laundry sorter. Ours has a dark plastic frame, wheels, and a nylon sectional with a fold-over cover with a weighted end so that your dirties don't get exposed! I was very excited about that. And considering it was under $15, it was basically a steal! We then looked at housewares and picked out some glassware for Ashley's new place:


The glasses have a square base and a circular top. Neat! We hope she likes them. We also got her some straws, matches [we all use them frequently in the bathroom; I had no idea how great they actually worked!], and two picture frames [one for Andrew, one for me, so that we can always be at Ashley's!]. I also snagged some scissors from the back-to-school section [less than $2 for these amazingly good scissors with the most comfortable grip ever!] which by the way is an absolutely necessary stop when shopping because--like we discussed at my folks' earlier in the day--it is insane what they are doing! We saw a 24 pack of crayons for 17¢! Insane.

We then swung by my folks' again to see if my dad had a certain tool Andrew needs for his truck and then came home. We took pictures for Ashley's frames, printed them, and I tried out the laundry sorter.

Verdict: absolutely amazing! 100% satisfied! Although the frame is plastic and not too expensive [I.E. "cheap"], the thing rolled from my room--over carpet!--to the garage/laundry room with no problem! The size of each section is the absolute perfect size for a load of laundry in our machine. Honestly, this is an amazing buy.

Andrew left for work and I started laundry, made some Pasta Roni, and sat down to blog. And by the way, I had to go back to the original Blogger layout [not draft.blogger] because the spell check function is too important for me to not have. I am a perfectionist and seeing that I spelled the word "people" wrong in a previous post makes me sick to my stomach.

One of the dogs just farted; I'm going to spell check and then vacate this room!

No comments: