Friday, July 25, 2008

Personal MyVent.com

Dear Boss,

I wish you would stop being such a hypocrite and start being the manager you are being paid to be. You wrote me up for being negative at work. Are you now going to write yourself up for crying at work because you fear the absolute worst: being fired from a shithole job? I know that you make a little under double what I do, and it kills me; I don't care much for my job, but when I'm there, I bust my ass and get things done. What do you do? Absolutely nothing. You go on vacation, come back to an increased workload, and ask me why I didn't cut hours? When I suggest I have a half day, you dismiss the idea because you don't want to work the whole day the only manager there until I arrive. It is selfish and not how a manager--concerned with payroll--should act.

Last night at floorset you did absolutely nothing. Nothing! You worked on paperwork, took forever to close the registers, had me follow you around to make a list of things we needed to get finished, and then didn't work on getting any of it done. I single-handily completed an entire 12-foot shop in the hour and a half you let us get things done (after spending an hour telling us stories from your vacation in Mexico where you made out with a married man every night and expecting us to side with you when the question "Was that wrong?" comes up), Ashley got lots of tedious projects done, and you did what? Start working on mannequin outfits a half an hour before we left. No wonder I left at 1:00 on the dot--I don't want to stay there while you finish a job you should have started hours ago just because you have your priorities out of whack. Don't do paperwork for the next morning when you're supposed to be moving merchandise across the store and repositioning hardware. Don't make unnecessary lists at unnecessary times. And don't nit-pick when details aren't done the way you want them to be if you don't help at least a little bit every once in a while!

Leave your feelings at home. Me leaving at 1:00 was not some kind of attack on you as a person. God damnit! I don't want to work longer than I'm scheduled because a certain someone chose to do other "projects" and didn't get as much accomplished as she had in mind. If I don't agree with your actions with a married man on your vacation, don't get all upset about it. If I say that I'm sick and tired of hearing Coldplay's new songs play every six minutes (a reasonable and shared opinion by many co-workers after hearing it literally every other song for eight hours straight!), it's not an attack on your music preferences. Just because I don't agree with you on policies, don't think that I'm disregarding your opinion entirely. Get over the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you and just relax!! So what if your ex-boyfriend plans his birthday party on your birthday; the Saturday after his birthday so that his friends can make it is a reasonable time for a birthday. You wanna know why both your friends are going to his party and not hanging out with you? It's because you are absolutely insane and let your emotions go wild at totally inappropriate times. Don't call me bawling when I am trying to close the registers at work because your friends chose him over you. Yea, he was an ass when you two were together, but maybe he changed, and maybe people would rather be with someone who just relaxes and goes with the flow than with someone who throws a fit over not getting her dream birthday.

You also need to realize that a fantasy is just that: fantasy. Being married at 24 and having kids with the perfect guy in a small town (whom you will always compare to your exes who left you--have you ever left someone? Hmmm...) is a childhood dream and needs to just vacate your mind this very instant. Your brother and sister both have families and children (or on the way) and you can't compare yourself to them. You are you and no one else. And your life is ending up how you lay the path for it. Being crazy and unreasonably emotional will not lay the path for your "dream life"; it will only lead you astray into the unhappiness that you claim you're wallowing in already.

And yes, your birthday is tomorrow, but so what? Honestly. People have lives and just because it's your birthday doesn't mean that everyone has to drop everything they have going on to be with you. Trying to make your friends feel guilty because they have prior engagements (I.E. moving to a new apartment, family reunions, other friends' birthdays, etc.) is not cool. If it was my birthday, I wouldn't care what people were doing; I would want to relax and just have a day with no obligations. If someone wanted to hang out with me or go out to dinner or something, that'd be fine, but I wouldn't freak out if I had nothing to do.

Having nothing to do is what I look forward to. Sitting at home and relaxing, watching a movie, blogging, making a bracelet, etc. is what I enjoy spending my time doing. It is not "unhealthy" to sit at home with my boyfriend and spend time doing what we both enjoy: being happy. Just because I'm not out partying it up with friends all the time (I am not a social person as it is) doesn't mean I'm "unhealthy" and unhappy. Happiness is different for each person, and you need to figure out how to define your own.

In a nutshell: figure it out, do your job the way you're supposed to, stop being so god damn emotional, and stop being so selfish. Everyone is sick of it.

Sincerely,
Your Employee

No comments: