Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Jackie and Bender's Private Performance

So yesterday was the day of Jackie and Bender's private performance with Good Charlotte, Metro Station, and Boys Like Girls. Danielle won free tickets and we headed out at 10:30 to make it to the Golden Gardens Park Bathhouse in Ballard by 1:00. Traffic was absolutely amazing and we got to Seattle before noon.

We had some time so we swung by the infamous Fremont Troll under the Aurora Bridge [seen in 10 Things I Hate About You]:


We then found the bathhouse, parked, and played at the beach part of the park. I think I honestly love beaches and need to live where there's at least a beach nearby. I had so much fun with Andrew the other day, I brought some of that fun with to this beach! We attempted to skip rocks [lame attempts!], hit rocks with a stick [until Danielle broke it on a swing!], and we threw up a rock and then tried to hit that rock with another rock we threw afterward. We did this until we saw a line forming shortly after 1:00. In line we got a free beach ball, some free Vitamin Water, and some sun on our exposed flesh. After 1:30, the crew started letting people in. The event was catered by Qdoba Mexican Grill and everyone got to enjoy some nacho-ey goodness! The bands were a little late but after 2:00, both Benji and Joel from Good Charlotte went on stage and sang 3 acoustic songs. They answered some interview questions from the DJs and then left the stage after about 40 minutes. I guess Nicole Richey was in the audience watching and a few people saw her.

They were pretty good acoustic, much better than Metro Station. I really liked Metro Station when I first heard them at work a few months ago. I remember texting a few managers some risque lyrics from the main song I liked at the time.

Shake It
Now if she does it like this will you do it like that
Now if she touches like this, will you touch her right back
Now if she moves like this, will you move it like that (come on)
Shake, Shake, Shake, Shake, uh shake it

I obsessed over the song because it was very easy to dance to, catchy, and unheard of. Danielle told me a while ago that she heard the song on the radio, which made it lose a lot of its appeal. I like to enjoy something and not have it be a fad. I hate fads and being part of the latest trend. But whatever, I suppose. I can't get too upset over the fact that the United States has finally realized that dance music (even songs with techno-ey beads or backgrounds) is where it's really at. But anyway, I loved Metro Station and got ahold of their self-titled debut album. The songs were, for the most part, really catchy and easy to dance to, much like "Shake It" held. So when Danielle invited me to see them live if she won, I looked forward to seeing them, despite the fact that they had become a fad. I had a feeling that they weren't going to be very good live and it turns out that I was right. The two out of the four band members who sang basically whispered until time came for a loud spurt [chorus, catchy line, etc.] and relied on the voices of the crowd to keep the volume audible. This wasn't a hard feat to accomplish due to the fact that basically everyone that showed up to see Metro Station more than the other two bands and they all were screaming along to the songs anyway. This cemented the notion that Metro Station is now too popular for my liking. I'll listen, but not in the same pure way as before. They definitely have their own style ["emo extreme"] but I learned that one of the main guys is Miley Cyrus's brother. He wore a shirt with her face on it. Although the performance was less than amazing, that wardrobe feature was pretty sweet.

Almost immediately after Metro Station's exit, two members of the band Boys Like Girls came on stage to do a sound check. Their performance was definitely the best of the three bands. I'm not a huge fan of their stuff, but the first song they sang Hero/Heroine had a part where he sang the chorus:

"I feel like a hero and you are my heroine"

...and everyone sang along. Well, everyone besides me, because I was mind-blogging during the entire concert; you can even see it with my head tilting, critiquing and figuring out what I'm going to say, in the following picture:


The harmony with everyone's voices was kind of amazing. One of the DJs even said it gave him goose bumps. Anywho, they performed their three songs and after Danielle got her VIP neck badge signed by the band member who looked like a mix of Jesse Bradford from Bring It On and Pete Wentz, she managed to snag Jackie and Bender out of their car for a quick photo op.

On our way home, we swung by the Alderwood Mall for bathrooms, store browsing, and a visit to Ashley at the salon. We ended up getting our hair done [Danielle got a color job and a cut while I got a desperately needed deep conditioning and a cut/trim]. How exciting! We then drove home [with an early-arriving Andrew from work!], ate too many tacos, and relaxed with some Six Feet Under!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Best regards