Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Jewel-y, Beachin' Day

Today, Sunday, was my first day off in about five days. Not a real big feat, working five days in a row before getting a day off, but I was getting real sick of it. The first three of the five days went pretty smoothly. We focused on customers, small projects--nothing too stressful. Then, Friday morning, we got the freight. We received 36 boxes of new merchandise for processing. Thirty-six! The first half of my shift that day was devoted to sorting the freight, and the second half was devoted to getting as much freight processed as possible. I got through 9 boxes of young men's branded zip-up sweatshirts. I folded them onto our miscellaneous tables [originally meant for backpacks. We didn't set them up that way because we got them a week and a half after the floorset] and backstocked the rest. Then it was time for me to leave.

Saturday I worked 2:00 to close--eight hours straight with a break in the backroom. I woke up and after doing 3 loads of laundry, putting away dishes, and drinking a mug of coffee, I wanted to call in sick and crash. I don't think I've ever, ever, called in sick [with the exception of this one time when I had, quite literally, the worst headache of my entire life and wouldn't cover someone's shift when they called in sick. The stipulation in which our store manager could go on vacation was that we couldn't borrow anyone from another store. Also, the other manager working that day was getting off at 2--only working a half day--so she can hang out with a long-time friend she hadn't seen in a while. So I grumbled and groaned and left.

When I got to work, there were still boxes of freight leftover from the day before. That's not a big deal, I just didn't want to deal with it. I had a mild headache on the right side of my head [not the left side, like before] and was not in the mood to process anything. We had a plethora of employees on the sales floor, so I had everyone in his or her zones with specific projects and I went in the back to process freight, organize the mess I made yesterday with the freight boxes, and make some kind of sense out of the backstocked merchandise which was literally a leftover mess of a combination of a tornado, a tsunami, and an earthquake [no, not the one from the 10th; that would have been way too much time in between that wouldn't be accounted for].

While back there, I got a lot done; I had the employees bringing certain processed merchandise to specific places in the store, re-fixtured the mobile "shoe walls" that hold our backstocked product so that the product could be housed easier and less damaging, and I cleaned up the mess, leaving only one box of freight by the end of the night.

The first half of my break, I made my gramma a hemp anklet. I used tan hemp [basic color] and some beads I picked out especially for her.


These aren't the ones I picked out for her, but of course if I'm looking for something online, I absolutely cannot seem to find it. The beads were Blue Moon beads, metal diamond shapes with a cobalt blue colored stone in the middle. The hole on the bead wasn't big enough for the two middle strings so I re-worked the hemping so that I used five strings instead of four, with three "core" strings and two "weaving" strings. The three core strings stayed in the middle until time came for a bead, which I then strung onto the middle of the three strings and then used the four unused strings to make a square knot to hold it together. The strings were taut behind the bead, which made it look like a diamond bead on top of a square hemping pattern. It was really cool looking! Considering it was my first attempt at doing something out of the ordinary with hemping, I ran into a knot in my spool of hemp [causing precise measuring difficulty that ended up being perfect beyond belief at the end], and I didn't have a whole lot of time to make something on my break, I got it done extremely fast and it looked really good. I was excited to give it to her.

The second half of my break I spent laying down on the floor in the backroom with my head on a sweatshirt that we had damaged out. I took some Ibuprofen [I'm pretty sure I have a high tolerance for pain medication so it doesn't really help me at all] and tried to relax and not think about it. After my break I finished my shift and went home. Knowing that I didn't have to go to work the next day, I felt somewhat relieved, although my headache was still somewhat present.

Now we reach today, Sunday, my day off. I woke up, put dishes away, got dressed, and had a cup of coffee. I had planned on visiting my gramma [unbeknownst to her] and gave her a call to see if she had plans. She said that she was going out to lunch with a friend at 1:00 and I offered to go visit her new place up in Bellingham before her lunch. I grabbed the first two seasons of Six Feet Under [we just finished season two last night; Nate is undergoing surgery for his AVM. What will happen?? I know...] because she doesn't have cable, does have a DVD player, and enjoys the work of Alan Ball just as much as I do. It'll give her something to do when she is bored or whatnot [even if I'm not bored, I'll watch it over doing other things!]. I grabbed those, her anklet, and a free recycled bag from PacSun and headed on up to Bellingham [not before making a mixed CD called "Sweet As Canday Mix!" ...playlist follows:

"Shut Up and Let Me Go" -- The Ting Tings
"I Kissed a Girl" -- Katy Perry
"Damaged" -- Danity Kane
"When I Grow Up" -- The Pussycat Dolls
"Until I Stay" -- Jully Black
"Hot 'N Cold" -- Katy Perry
"Lollipop" -- Lil Wayne
"Ur So Gay" -- Katy Perry
"I Wanna Love You" -- The Maine
"See You Again" -- Miley Cyrus
"All Eyez on Me" -- Monica
"Give Me Love (No Llores)" -- Monte Negro
"She Wants to Move" -- N.E.R.D.
"Laugh About It" -- N.E.R.D.
"Leavin'" -- Jesse McCartney
"Umbrella" -- Vanilla Sky
"Whatever You Like" -- Nicole Scherzinger
"Untouched" -- The Veronicas
"Leave Out All the Rest" -- Linkin Park

...and a little FYI: I understand that a couple of these songs are on the Top 40 right now and that normally turns them off from my interest, but I don't have to really let that get to me if I like the song. Like I said, the U.S. is finally understanding what sweet music is like. It may not hold the classics found in the 70s and 80s, but it's still good. And, the song "Ur So Gay" isn't Gay-bashing. She is upset at her boyfriend and throwing some nasty lyrics at him. I am 100% supportive of any sexual orientation--within the same species, please--so this is in no way me trying to disrespect the Gay community. I hate when people use any kind of slang for "homosexual" as a demeaning term. Get over it! Anyway, this was mainly a dance mix so I'd have something to bounce to on my way up North].

After seeing her new place--amazing!--I went to Bead Bazaar. I think I spent a good 40 minutes in there just looking at everything. I'm not sure why, but I can't stop buying beads! I just can't! I only spent around $20 there, signed up for their Bead Club so that every $100 I spend there, I get a $5 coupon [pretty cool!], and headed back to town.

At WalMart I got a tackle-box for my new beads [and probably more beads in the future!], some house-hold items we needed, and some wine glasses that I've been eyeing for a while. From there I hooked up with Andrew and we headed out to La Conner to his family's "July Birthdays" get together. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the food.


Seriously, I had about two platefuls of stuff [including apple pie and home-made whipped cream!]. After eating and visiting a bit with people [me observing / Andrew visiting], he and I made our way to the little beach nearby--surprised?


There were rocks with barnacles covering them everywhere! We flipped over big ones and looked for crabs; we found a lot--big ones too! I saw some coloring on a nearby "cliff" and we made our way over to check it out:


From the tides and such! Speaking of, the tide was literally about a mile out and we could see muck and mud for a long ways. We threw rocks at a "mud pile" for a bit and then realized that the tide was coming in at an incredibly fast speed!


I should have taken a picture of the tide when it was out, but here is a shot when it is in:


It was mesmerizing how fast it came in! Seriously, it was unbelievable.


This is Andrew and I at the beach with my walking stick I found and Andrew's Mountain Dew.


On our way back, this was what we saw. How gorgeous!!

When we came home, I turned on my computer and started uploading pictures, videos, and looking around on the Internet. I still had that Amazon.com gift certificate for $25 I had to use, so I was looking around on there. I found some rings that I've been wanting for a while [well, that style, not the exact rings]:






And FYI, the red and green rings both now say, "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." Yea, that's right; I got the last ones in stock. No big deal.

So basically I had an amazing day off, filled with beads, food, beach fun, rings, and some quality time with some very important people in my life. Can't complain.

No comments: