Friday, July 25, 2008

I Wanted to Believe

Today, Friday July 25, 2008 was the release date for the second X-Files Movie, I Want to Believe. Of course, Andrew and I went to the first showing at the local mall [that's right, 11:30!]. I had mixed emotions about how the movie was going to be, but I mostly had the feeling that the movie would have the X-Files "episode" feel throughout the entire thing.

Turns out, I was right. The movie was 1 hour and 40 minutes long and although the way that the story line picks up from the end of the series was "okay" with reality considered, it didn't have the X-Files vibe. The movie focused more on the pedophile ex-priest / psychic and his lame acting skills than Mulder and Scully. There was tension between M&S, but their relationship was unclear throughout the movie. The new FBI agents were good actors, but they drew attention away from the fact that Mulder and Scully were helping to solve the case.

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny looked more than six years older than the last episode they did [which was six years ago]. It was odd seeing Gillian with long hair and David with a fatter face than before. But non-the-less seeing them together again was pretty sweet.

All in all, it was an okay extended episode with a focus on the actual "X-File" and the process of solving it with all parties involved. So far IMDb.com has it rated as a 7.5. I'd rate it as maybe a 6.8/10 as far as movies go, but I think that's pretty safe to say considering it is a movie based on a television show. Still worth the long wait!

No comments: