Friday, July 18, 2008

Sore Spot

I woke up yesterday with a tingly feeling. No, it wasn't a tingly feeling of excitement or nervousness; it was a feeling on my upper lip that seemed eerily familiar. Yes, that's right... a cold sore. Once you get the feeling that it's coming, there's no stopping it. It's called "prodrome stage" [source]; it actually has a name. Anyway, so I get right on it and put on some Zilactin. The cold sore didn't show up at first, but I felt it and kept using the liquid remedy anyway.

It started showing and after a good, relaxing night's rest, I woke up with a gigantic fat upper lip. Now, if you don't know me, you can take my word that it is no small exaggeration that in the creation of my physical being, both of my lips merged into one large bottom lip, and my top lip is a thin, almost non-existent line of skin resembling lip texture. Someone even called me "Bubba" once, in reference to the character from Forrest Gump. Now, with this fat upper lip, I now had a "regular" sized bottom lip and a "regular" sized upper lip with the middle part of my upper lip swollen to the same plumpness as my bottom lip. With this swollen-ness comes the hardness that embodies the term "fat" lip. I iced it for hours and after half a day, it started getting back down to normal size. I joked and said that I had turned into a snap turtle [you know how they have that beak thing?].

Anyway, why does a lip get fat when it has an outbreak of a cold sore? It doesn't really make sense; I didn't punch it or anything. Whatever I suppose; there's not much I can do about it. I know I sound like a disgusting, infected, disfigured freak of nature, but cold sores are an every day occurrence, an every day annoyance, and an every day reason to remember that beauty is on the inside, and making judgements on how people appear is not okay.

But making judgements on actions and behaviours is acceptable. This woman living in our neighborhood is literally being unreasonable. Recently, the city/town/county [whoever!] decided to expand the nearby highway in order to ensure safer travel [55+ mph--I say "plus" because no one goes 55--on a two-lane highway, one lane per direction, with no median/barrier between the lanes]. In doing so, they also decided to re-do the freeway on/off ramp location. With all this construction, they tore down two gas stations, bought out many homes, and paved the way for new roadwork. Apparently now there are plans to put up a new gas station and this neighbor woman of ours is causing an uproar over said gas station. She printed out the notification letter she received, highlighting the fact that one of the additions to the roadwork is a "24-hour gas station and convenience store." She wrote in large letters, "Write a letter of protest! This will cause increased traffic, crime, and pollution!" A.) They tore down two gas stations and are putting one up. When the two gas stations were still in business, no one complained. B.) With the highway and freeway renovations, a traffic increase is expected. C.) As Andrew put it, "The gas station wont cause pollution; people putting gas in their cars and driving around for no reason cause pollution!" Anyway, this woman sent out another letter [one that I have handy and am looking at word for word].

"...This will cause more crime, night time light pollution, dust and air pollution, noise, traffic congestions (estimated 3,700 more cars passing by your houses) ... We need to stop this project to protect our neighborhood and children."

Honestly, lady. This is absolutely ridiculous. Save some trees: don't send out these ridiculous complaints. We don't want them and it's not going to stop a project that is already fully underway. Leave it be.

I just saw a flea on my arm. This is not okay. Off to clean house!

No comments: