Thursday, July 10, 2008

Music is a Pretty Ol' Thang

What is it about hearing a song for the first time that makes your body just freeze? At work, we receive new satellite-mixed CDs every so often with song updates to keep up with the Californian trends, style, and way of life. Also, the music is selected to subconsciously prevent theft [doubtful! If anything it only encourages you to buy stuff, distracting your money-saving thoughts momentarily]. But most importantly, we receive these song updates to make me feel the way I feel when I hear something new. This morning after a regular song [I don't remember which one because I've learned to block out the old songs; they're just so "everyday" and usual! It's similar to blocking out the sound of yourself breathing or the noisy belt under your car's hood--if that's by chance your particular situation too], I heard a new song that made me stop and examine how it made me feel. Songs are either absolutely perfect in the respect where it makes your mood alter to its liking, or it lacks something and loses all its listening value. This song in particular is MGMT's "Electric Feel." Nothing out of the norm, but it was out of the norm for my morn and took me back. I know music affects people in different ways, but what is it about hearing something for the first time? What is it exactly?

And what is it when you hear something for the first time and swear that you've heard it before? For example, in the car I heard Michael Jackson's "Pretty Young Thing" on the radio and it seemed eerily familiar:

Michael Jackson "Pretty Young Thing" 0:29-0:45


"Don't You Know Now
Is The Perfect Time
We Can Make It Right
Hit The City Lights
Then Tonight Ease The Lovin' Pain
Let Me Take You To The Max"

So I swore up and down that I'd heard the song somewhere else. Turns out, I was right. Did anyone else catch this?

Monica "All Eyez on Me" 2:11-2:29


"Don't you know now is the perfect time
I can make it right
Makin' you all mine
Baby tonight if you hold it down
I can give you all that I got"

Odd. And if anyone is curious on how I'm getting only the music chunks and not the entire song, I'm using Audacity... fo' free!! Pretty sweet.

What's also pretty sweet is that we finished watching the X-Files series [ready for the movie!] and tonight we are starting Six Feet Under. I have no words to describe my exitement.

No comments: