Sunday, July 13, 2008

Earthquake

On Thursday the 10th, I got off work at 5 after working a long day [which started out with the "Electric Feel" song by MGMT, if you can remember that far back]. I came home and was on my computer, most likely blogging, and Andrew was in the bathroom. It was a little after 6:30 and I felt the house shake. I asked Andrew if he felt it, to which he replied, "Yea..." I said that I thought it was an earthquake and he laughed. I then went online to different news websites around the Seattle area to see if there were any earthquake updates [since we don't have cable for news via television] and there were no reports. I didn't want to think I was imagining things--the floor literally felt like it was a ripple!--so I called work.

Alyssa: "Thank you for calling PacSun! This is Alyssa; how may I help you?"
Me: "Hey it's Miranda. Did you just feel an earthquake a couple minutes ago?"
Alyssa: "Uhh, no..."
Me: "Did anyone else?"
Alyssa: "Erica, Danielle, did either of you feel an earthquake just a few minutes ago? ... No, they didn't feel anything either."
Me: "I swear I felt it!"
Alyssa: [laughs]
Me: "Okay well I'll let you go."


The next day, Friday the 11th, Ashley was on the Skagit Valley Herald webpage and saw a news article that looked interesting. She read it aloud:

"A 'micro' earthquake occurred Thursday evening about three miles south-southeast of Bay View..."


Can you guess where abouts I live?? Anywho, it stated that it was a 2.7 magnitude earthquake and local residents felt it. If I do say so myself, I would consider myself a local resident! And I felt it!! How interesting! A small worldy feat only experienced by a few people. I told the story to a few of my co-workers on Saturday [who loved it!] and happened to say that the epicenter was under my house. This might be a stretch, but I am literally just down the highway from it! Isn't it true that if you're at the epicenter, you don't feel anything? If so, then the epicenter couldn't have been under our house! Either way, how neat is that??

No comments: