Monday, February 16, 2009

Excuse Me... Are You Canadian??

"Excuse me... are you Canadian?"

This was the absolute most off-the-wall thing that has happened to me in the last two days; two customers asked if I was Canadian. When I answered:

"Uhh... no?"
"Well, where are you from?"
"...here...?"
"Oh. You don't sound like it."

The whole time I was helping them I did not say any Canadian accent cliches ["aboot" or "eh?" or whatever else people consider "Canadian"]. The entire dialogue consisted of "Hey! What can we get goin for ya?" "Is that hot?" "Whip cream?" "Alright!" "Your total comes to [whatever it was]" and that's when the question came. It wasn't one of those, "What're ya out-and-about doing today?" or "Anything exciting happen this weekend?" or anything; simple and to-the-point. So when I got home I Googled "You Know You're a Canadian When..." and the ONLY thing that applied to me was:

You use a red pen on your non-Canadian textbooks and fill in the missing 'u's from labor, honor, and color.

And everything else did NOT apply, especially:

You drink pop, not soda.

Because of this, I am NOT Canadian. Not that it wasn't cool to have someone say basically, "You don't sound like an American," which is considered the lamest accent ever!

It was most likely the fact that my voice is fading. Yes, I might very well be getting sick. I was due for it; haven't been sick-sick in a year [literally: I had a bad cough/cold when I first started hanging out with Andrew. I was too embarrassed to cough up a lung around him, so I'd try to hold it in and cough like a princess because--we all know--girls don't cough, fart, poop, burp, etc].

This is the reason I didn't blog yesterday. I came home from work--after drinking three 16-ounce hot green teas with a heaping 2.5-ish Tablespoons of honey to "Coat the Throat!"--and laid down on the couch with some X-Files [surprised? I just finished season four today for the.. 4th time?] only to be coerced into taking PM cough syrup and falling asleep until 4:30, texting and calling people for almost two hours, and falling back asleep until Andrew came home with Charlie [didn't remember him leaving] and put in a movie from Hollywood Video. Well, the first movie they got started skipping [figures, it's not from NetFlix!] and the skipping part was the only part I remembered from the movie because, alas, I had fallen asleep during the previews. They then put in Saw V [THANK GOD I FELL ASLEEP RIGHT AWAY, but not before seeing the guy make the decision to crush his hands rather than have his stomach sliced in half, but to no avail because it sliced him anyway. How disgusting are the writers of these movies! I bet they have killer nightmares... literally]. I woke up a little before 2:00am when Andrew told me, "It's time for bed!" ...as if I hadn't been sleeping ALL DAY already. Haha!!

So, due to my afternoon of sleeping, I haven't blogged about Valentine's Day night. It was an absolute success! Miss Burns-Her-Cereal actually pulled off Olive Garden's Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo but didn't drink too much wine, due to the fact that I haven't acquired the taste for it yet AND my throat had started to hurt a little and it didn't feel all that great. But anywho, we watched PS I Love You and I cried the entire time... again.

When I got the ingredients for V-Day dinner, I got some cans of delicious Nalley Chili [which I think I mentioned in my previous blog] and I plan on eating one tonight! Who knows? Maybe I'll even garnish it with shredded cheese, even though dairy isn't good for you when you're sick. And chili isn't good for me in any state of health.

And my state of health right now is kind of weak and lazy, so I'm NOT going to do any of the dishes piled up in the sink, I'm NOT going to do any laundry that is strewn all across my bedroom, and I am unfortunately NOT going to Zumba tonight. *Sigh* A night without Zumba. I just know that once I got there, if I started working out, I would start coughing like a banshee and end up sitting on the sidelines anyway, and with Katie working a double tonight and no one else riding in the car with me, I have no obligation to go. So instead I will plop on the couch with my throw blanket, blue comforter, a Sierra Mist [that expired today--thanks BFJ!], season five of X-Files, and one or two snuggle-butts [Murphy and Moe!]. So here I go!

No comments: