Wednesday, February 25, 2009

All-Nighter in a Foreign Town

I would be dead without my phone. Yes, I do realize that I am probably not supposed to be on my phone but guess what? I am dying and it is my only saving grace. I don't think that's the proper use of that phrase but hey, I'm in a don't-care-about-proper-English mood, so whatever.

Anywho, I am up in Bellingham working the grave shift at one of the stands. It isn't so bad other than the fact that I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and when I didn't want to clean anymore, I still had over two hours left! Aaahhhhh! I scrubbed down everything on the counters [minus under the espresso machines because I can't tilt that thing by myself!!], cleaned and stocked the fridge, stocked the straws, got more coffee filters ready, cleaned the syrup ladders, and got up on both sides and cleaned under and straightened all the syrup bottles. All of this after the register wasn't working and after getting my only five customers [basically].

I had Katie's mixtape to keep me going, as well as an Iced White Chocolate Toddy Americano with Cream, but at about 1:50, I hit my peak. I pulled up a chair and whipped out my book [ironically titled The Night Cafe] and read a chapter or two and realized, "This is going to put me to sleep even FASTER!!" because I read when I am relaxed, leading to a sleepy Miranda. So I then scooted the chair back, whipped out my amazing G1, and came here. I know the manager here is pretty laid back about things you do when it's slow [heck, the barista that I relieved told me that there is a DVD player in the back and for a dollar I could rent a movie from the vending machine outside!!], so I think I'll be okay. I'm paranoid about making customers wait, so even though there is a monitor with a 3x3 grid of cameras on display showing me all angles of the stand [including the drive-up windows], I peak around the corner about every 15 words or so. Yea, it's happening.

Although I am beyond tired, I am excited for my 6am shift back in town. "Why?" you may ask. Well let me educate you a little on the events that transpired this afternoon. At 2:00pm, I drove UFDA to the shop to get inspected / aligned. This is me driving it:


No big deal. Anywho, so Andrew followed me and after handing the techies the keys, he and I did some errands, including but not limited to transferring UFDA's title into my name [I officially own my own vehicle! ...baby Sentra's still in the bank's hands, officially], picking up some tires, buying tail-light "fixing" tape, and adding the olive green machine to my insurance policy. So guess what I'll be driving to and from work from now on? You got it:

UFDA!!!!!!!!

Try not to be too jealous. Heated leather seats at cold 6am, quick defrost [I read the user's manual last night and to defrost you use the A/C button. Odd, huh?], sweet CD player [that beeps unGodly loud when you tune the radio or switch a song. You wouldn't believe it!]... it's all just too good.

So for now, I drove baby Sentra up to this quaint little town [gas saver, seens how it's a half hour away, and there is a little jerking in UFDA when you let off the accelerator, which we may fix tomorrow... well, "today", but we'll see if I'm even awake at all after I get off for good at 9:00] and she is sitting in the cold parking lot, which by the way is lit up amazingly by an illuminating Walgreens on one side and a Lowe's sign on the other. No blending in of cars here!!!

I think I'll hop off here and read a little, considering the manager will get here in 40 minutes at the very most. Until then, this is me on a grave shift:

No comments: