Sunday, October 26, 2008

The US Flag is Going to HECK!!

Good LORD what a day at work! I laid out my outfit last night so I could justify sleeping in an extra 15 minutes. I was up at 3:15, dressed, dogs out and in, bagel toasted and cream-cheesed [new verb?], and out at my frozen car at 3:40. Wearing three sweatshirts over my double-layered top with a magnificent scarf and super cozy wool glove/mittens was a good idea; why does it have to be so cold out?? Don't worry, I warmed up at work and my rolled up pants and sock-less flats equalized my body temperature.

This new girl [Caitlin(?)] is amazing! She picked up incredibly fast and was making hot, iced, and blended drinks YESTERDAY! It was super helpful having her make the drinks; it was semi-busy yesterday and I didn't get stressed out. So I got to work at 3:48 or so, bagel devoured, set my stuff down, clocked in, got my tea in my mug, and was ready for my day. Jenelle [graveyard that I let off] stayed late unintentionally and was there until the new girl came in at 5:00. Jenelle told me that one of the machines had funky shots that were taking forever to fill, so I decided we wouldn't use that one for the rest of the day. The last few Sundays weren't super busy, so why should this Sunday, right?

...Right?

Jeena slept in and got there around 7:00 [an hour late], which was okay because we were super slow. At this point I had horrible heartburn [like I did all day at work yesterday!] and it was to the level of making me sit down and try to think about anything but vomiting. I did some research [no, not at the Kortlever-Thompson-Brandrup Research Center, but on my T-Mobile G1 I have named Gerta] on "heartburn causes" and look was at the top of the list at this About.com page:

Coffee, tea, and other drinks that contain caffeine

Good LORD! I have just been fueling the fire... LITERALLY!! I bet God is just laughing at me thinking, "You thought you were doing your body good by drinking all that tea; little did you know..." I told Caitlin that my insides felt like a bong, my esophagus being the neck of the bong, flowing fire and scorching water up and down, to and from my stomach, the bubbling and gurgling round part ...and my belly button is where the stem is. So I dumped out the little bit of tea I had left and filled it with... wait... don't panic:

WATER.

Don't worry, I only drank half of it before I dumped it and had the new girl "practice" making a hot liquid chai cut with milk and no hotter than 120° and "accidentally" pour it into my mug.

Jeena got there around 7:00, like I said, and it was super duper slow, We literally were up on the counter moving all the syrup bottles, straw boxes, Jet Teas, soy boxes, etc. and cleaning the shelves underneath [ga-ross!!].


Once we got both shelves done it was clear that we wouldn't be doing any cleaning for a while: the rush came. We used both machines for steaming, register #2's machine for the shots, and as soon as we were done with the shots we moved to the other counter to make room for other people making drinks. It got to a point where Caitlin and Jeena were making the drinks and I was cleaning up after them, wiping the counter messes, washing all the pitchers and blenders, keeping everything stocked, etc. It wasn't stressful at all and it was nice to just "pick up" after people instead of stressing about how fast you are making the drink or whatnot.

I heard a woman rattling off an order to the new girl and I came over to help.

Customer: "Can I get three Lil' Foot hot chocolates but NOT in the Lil' Foot cups, a 20oz. French Vanilla Latte, and I have another complicated drink so I'll just wait until you're done."

The Lil' Foot cups are there for a reason: for the Lil' Foot drinks! All kids drinks are super cheap because they have to have the other cup. The drinks are 12oz. So this woman is trying to get away with having the cheaper price for three 12oz. "warm" chocolates. Rude.

So I came over to help with the complicated drink.

Customer: "Can I get a 20oz. hot chocolate with some Vanilla in it, but can you use HALF-N-HALF instead of MILK, and can you add three shots of espresso to that?"

"20oz. Vanilla Mocha Breve" would have been sufficient, but once again, she is trying to get the hot chocolate price for the more expensive drink. Whatever; bottom line, she sucks.

Later on after the new girl went home, Jeena was helping a customer and I asked if I could make anything. She said that they ordered three Lil' Foot Strawberry Sasquatches ["strawberry smoothie"], so I made them. I reached for the Lil' Foot cups and Jeena says, "They have to be in the normal cups."

My eyes got wide and I looked from her, to the car, and back to her. This woman has returned in a different vehicle with her husband or what-have-you driving. Fine, whatever, have your clear cups, butthole. I ask if there is "Ha-whippin' Cream" and I heard the lady say, and Jeena immediately repeat to me, "Yes but one has to be on top of a flat lid." So I do this and hand Jeena the drinks. The mom then says, "The whip cream has to be UNDER the flat lid!!!" Good LORD! So Jeena takes it back and I look at her with the "I'm-not-dealing-with-this-woman-any-longer" eyes and she offers to finish. Handing the drink to them, the woman requests, "Can you cut the straw?"

I'm done with this family.

After they leave, I have a customer order a drink:

Customer: "Can I have a DOUBLE 16oz. Iced Latte with a little bit of chocolate, but can you put it in a 20oz. cup and fill it with a lot of ice but not too much?"

..."20oz. Iced Mocha with only Two Shots." If you are reading this and don't know how to order your drink without spattering out a bunch of nonsense, just ask your barista what it would be called and NEVER say anything BUT that AGAIN!! It's just embarrassing to yourself.

2:00 rolls around, my relief is late [which is fine; I don't have plans after work, like usual], and the phone rings. I thought I might get a break from dealing with odd people for the rest of the day, but I suppose I was wrong.

Customer on Phone: "Hi. My name is Tom. I'm a retired Navy Veteran who went to Vietnam FOUR times! I drive by almost every day."
Me: "What can I help you with?"
Customer: "Well, like I said, I come by almost every day..."

I was anticipating a bad drink was made and he wanted a free one or something... I was not anticipating what actually happened:

Customer: "...and your flag is tattered. Your United States flag is going to HECK!"
Me: *Silent* "Well, I can let my manager know and she can make it a priority to get that fixed."
Customer: "I'll be driving by and monitoring to see when it updates."


Good LORD! I'm going to heat up some pizza and try my hardest NOT to think about stupid people.

No comments: