Friday, October 24, 2008

Sex and the City: The Movie: The Review

So basically I've seen every episode of Sex and the City multiple times. I don't think I'd call myself a "die hard fan," but I thoroughly enjoy the show. I didn't watch it when it was on air on HBO [should have forked up the coin for it; HBO has some pretty dang good shows!], but I do own the whole series [collector's edition, thank you!] and have at times watched more than one season in a single sitting. You couldn't help yourself either if there was a television series that was actually fun to watch and one of the main characters had YOUR NAME!

I've been with the girls through their ups and downs and their men and women, and I was looking forward to seeing the movie! I was supposed to see it with Carrie but she went on a girls' night Cocktail Pre-Movie date with her other girlfriends instead. I was then supposed to see it with my sister, Kels, but that fell through too. Either I'm a drag to be around or fate wanted it to be like it's been all along: comfy, cozy, snack, blanket, big-screen.

The movie came and went in theatres and released on DVD when I was in California. At the same time in California, my folks' MVP account at Hollywood Video ended, providing a rent-less existence. I started up Netflix and put the movie on the list, moving it to the top after I finished watching the series just one more time. Finished the series Monday, got the movie Wednesday, just watched it this afternoon [Friday], and my verdict:

Didn't expect much else.

Would a fan really and truly say that they didn't expect much? Traitor!! ...right? No way!! When has a television show actually unveiled an after-series big-screen movie that actually hit?? Especially one that is released many years after the end of the series! The X-Files Movie wasn't that great and in that case, I can consider myself a "die hard fan." With the x-Files movie being a dull addition to the saga, I expected the SATC movie to be the same and I was right.

So we've got Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda picking up "right where they left off... 4 years later." Bullshit! I've read a bunch of movie reviews and one of them literally hits it square on the nose:

...At the end of the series, Miranda had mellowed out substantially and learned to enjoy a quieter family life. From the moment the movie begins, she is back where she was at the beginning of the series - anal, overworked, and impossible to satisfy. Then, in the middle of the movie, she's running around with the girls...

...and making fun of her life with Steve. The comment she made about going to the aquarium with her husband and son, really annoyed me. Like that was all so lame and childish, and spending your time at Fashion Week is much more important. Samantha's situation was even more frustrating to me. The character is 50. In real life, the woman portrayed in this movie would be a joke: an ageing, loudmouthed, overeating, Botoxing, spoiled brat with a little dog in tow. I always loved that at the end of the series she finally made such a big step with Smith and let her emotions flow with him. It seemed that after going through cancer and connecting with this man, she had finally stopped being the self-centered, wacky Samantha, and matured a little. In the movie, that all just goes out the window. ..."

Miranda has always been the one to voice her opinion. Sure, she's the one that kind of lets loose with the whole "You're crazy to get married!" comment, but it's also not like her to hold in her opinions elsewhere. She doesn't say anything when Samantha shows up "fat" [aka "not bulimic." How the HELL does SJP get that fricken SKINNY! It's skinnier than bones!] and with Steve, she calmly just flows away.

Charlotte hasn't really changed, but you don't really see her being that super mom that she was supposed to be. Miranda seems more like a super mom than Charlotte, and that's saying something. She doesn't really do or say much in the movie really, but she's there to be there I suppose.

And Carrie. Good LORD! Something happened to her face to make it lonnnngggggerrrrr [didn't think it was possible but I guess I was wrong]. Anyway, I suppose she was a lot like she normally was but whatever.

It just seemed very "fake" to me. Fake acting, fake jokes, and dumbed down for a newer audience. And like the same review says later on:

...I hated the Steve storyline. The Steve from the series would not have done that to her. It was just a way to play out the Carrie/Big storyline, which I hated. Sorry to say there is little I did not hate about this film. It was so empty and useless, and so superficial. ...

Steve really WOULDN'T have done something like that to Miranda, despite how "rude" she treated him. At the end of the series, she was literally giving sponge baths to his mom. It was just weird to see such a switch and imagine Steve doing what he "did."

And kind of off topic but still same, how is forgiving someone for cheating the same as forgiving someone for being rude to them? Miranda has to let go of the fact that she can't trust him not to cheat again, and Steve has to let go of the fact that Miranda might not "love him for better or worse." It doesn't really seem the same. I know I couldn't forgive someone for cheating. I just couldn't. ESPECIALLY if it was sex. The fact that the other person heard the voices in their head, knew what would happen, and do it anyway... it's just throwing everything away. Knowing that my hypothetical boyfriend willingly stuck his penis inside someone else and yet he claims that he still loves me and he's "sorry" and I should forgive him? ...if that EVER happened, I would NOT forgive because I could NOT forget.

I think that's my biggest fear.

Not with Andrew or anything, but just a straight up betrayal. A friend doing something to you, family member taking advantage of you, co-worker, whomever it may be. That just makes me sick to my stomach thinking about.

Anyway, it was fun watching an addition to the show I have come to love and thoroughly enjoy watching, even though it was a watered-down version of what was "expected" by "die hard fans."

...Now to work on formatting more of my sister's pictures. Ah! Get me my tea pitcher, a back massager, slippers, and some good easy-listening music, please.

No comments: