Monday, October 20, 2008

Feelin Low? No Mo'!

It's sad that people can be so down on life sometimes. I am constantly hearing or reading about people who are so confused about life and how everything gets them down. I get it; I've been there with the "horrible job," the "boy troubles," and whatever else is a downer [I think everyone has at least once in his or her life]. But the only thing I really have to say about it is:

GET OVER IT!

My questionnaire and advice on what to do if you are constantly feeling low about things:

1.) "I hate my job." Get a new one! Honestly! I hated, HATED working at PacSun. It stressed me out constantly, I dreaded going in to work, I felt like I was taking on more responsibility than I should because it felt like no one else gave a crap about what was going on at all, and I would literally cry over being the only one who could go in. As far as that last statement goes, being the only one who "could" go in is NOT how it actually was; it was being the only one "willing" to go in. Andrew really opened my eyes to the fact that it was not always my responsibility to take over when everyone else is too lazy to go to work when they are supposed to. It was not always my responsibility to make sure everything was perfect because nothing is perfect and stressing about it only leads to disaster. I quit PS before I even had another job. I went two weeks before securing my job at BigFoot and even though I was stressing out about money and all, it was the less stressed I had been in a long long while. Moral of the story: if you hate your job, quit and get a new one! If you can't afford to quit before you get a new one, be active and find one first! You don't have to put in a notice at your current job no matter where you work because it's not your responsibility to fix everything and make life less stressful for everyone else because you are quitting. If you can't afford to quit PERIOD and for some incredibly odd reason HAVE to work at your current job [for example, you live in BFE and there is one job in the entire town and you have it and if you quit, you die], find a way to make it less stressful. Don't take on more responsibility than you have to. If some other employee decided to party the night before and can't open in the morning, it is not YOUR responsibility to get it covered! It is THEIR responsibility to think about the consequences of what they do BEFORE they do it! There are other people that can cover the shift and if push comes to shove, the absolute highest manager HAS to come in and cover because it IS their responsibility to make sure that it is covered. Ignore a phone call or text, don't reply to any messages until the shift in question is over. Be an "asshole" or a "bitch" if you need to be, but you will feel amazing for leaving the problem and the stress to someone else.

2.) "Why doesn't anyone like me?" No one likes you because YOU don't like you. If you are worried more about what people think about you and being accepted than being who you are and being true to yourself, no one will ever like you. You will simply be the whiner who stands alone at a party--that you didn't even get invited to but tagged along with someone who felt sorry for you and that someone isn't a whiner--thinking about all the fun that people are having and wishing that it was you, when it COULD be you if you opened up to YOURSELF! Sit down with a pencil and a piece of paper [with me it would be a laptop and a Notepad document] and make a list of the things that you like about yourself and enjoy doing as well as a list of things that you wish were different about yourself. I'm sure the second list is going to be longer, but take the first list and accentuate it! If you like the fact that you have a loving family and enjoy spending time together, continue to do so! If on your second list was something about spending MORE time together as a family, make it happen! Anything on your second list is changeable. Do whatever it takes to take that item from the second list and put it on the first. You think you have an unattractive body? Work out! Even if it is just fast walking around the block while you listen to your favourite music on your mp3 player a couple times a week and it only takes ten minutes, so be it! That small amount of exercise will become enjoyable [believe it or not!] and you will want to put it to a jog, to a run, to a couple blocks, to the five mile trail by the bay. So once you like yourself and kind of get over worrying about people liking you, it'll kind of switch and you'll be good.

3.) "My Boyfriend/Girlfriend isn't very nice." Dump them! If there are issues that can't be resolved easily, get rid of them and get over them! Be aware of the fact that there really ARE more fish in the sea. Here are the rules:
A.) No name-calling.
B.) No cheating of any kind. No kissing, petting, sexing, NOTHING with anyone else!
C.) You must talk about anything that bothers you immediately.
D.) Compromise is everything, but not compromising your beliefs, ethics, or feelings. Be reasonable about everything and able to meet in the middle [no stubborn-ness!]
E.) NO SECRETS!!
F.) Make each other happy.
If for some reason you are no longer happy and dread seeing boyfriend/girlfriend, call it quits. There is no reason that you shouldn't be happy. I'm sick of hearing complaints about significant others. Fix it or ditch it! And follow the rules.

Well, that's all I can really think of that will totally fix your "depression." And if you're depressed, just fix it. Just... just do it.

No comments: