Friday, October 17, 2008

Health Foods and Some News

I haven't blogged in quite a while. I have a whole bunch of stuff to go over. Before I sat down to blog, I got myself a glass of iced tea and a snack of cucumbers and ranch. I guess this could be a good place to start off at.

Working at a coffee stand with an unlimited selection of drinks to choose from, create, and devour. Having this privilege comes with a warning: "Be sparing with your caffeinated sugar intake. A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips." With the customer traffic slowing down lately, all there really is to do is clean, re-organize, and consume drinks and snacks. When I am at work for six to eight hours and have run out of things to clean, a couple different smoothies, mocha shakes, chais, or Italian cream sodas sound good to make and drink. But if I want to lose the little bit of tummy I have acquired recently and keep it off, drinking these devilishly delicious drinks as frequently as desired is not the way to do it.

I was e-mailing my grandma and she mentioned drinking green tea and how good it is for you. At work the next day, I made some iced green tea with some raw sugar and honey [I can't go from sugary sugar drinks to plain tea overnight! No way!] and it wasn't that bad.

The first day I drank two 16oz cups [one quart!] and then made myself a blended chai as my "reward." The second day, my goal was to drink six of those cups. I made it to five [2.5 quarts!] and had to stop. I didn't have anything else to drink because my thirst was actually quenched. The third day, I went in and made a 32oz cup and drank three of those. The fourth day I was at home and made a two-quart pitcher of my own iced tea and drank about half [one quart] and drank another 32oz cup later on [two!]. Yesterday I drank about another quart of tea [16oz at home and 16oz at work] and today I'm working on my second 16oz cup. It's basically ALL I'm drinking! I made myself a blended white coffee on white chocolate mocha two days ago and one taste was all it took to make me give up anything but tea.

With the tea keeping my body super hydrated [yay for water! ...which I hate drinking on its own] and flushing all the toxins out of my body [no yays for peeing so much! I feel like I'm out-peeing a pregnant woman!], I feel like a reborn woman.

Along with this tea consumption comes a craving for fruits and veggies! I have been snacking on cucumbers, carrots, apples, and Nutri Grain bars at work instead of going to Jack-in-the-Box and getting greasy burgers [which are delicious] and spending money that I don't have to. Eating more salads at home and continuing to snack on fruits and veggies has made me feel like a super healthy person! Kailey [co-worker] and I decided that on the days that she and I work together, we will bring healthy snacks to share to keep up on the diet [and by "diet" I don't mean "starvation guidelines"; I mean "total food and beverage consumption"]!

This "diet" isn't giving me more energy, though. I have been going to bed early basically every night, sleeping in until about 10:30 on average, and taking naps during the day. I feel like an old woman in bed listening to Andrew and Sam have fun out in the living room. Ah!

Last night's early night was mostly because of a headache I had acquired. I was wearing my hair up in a clip [like normal] with a headband to keep my fly-aways down [not normal]. I'm pretty sure the headband, accompanied by a crained neck, caused said headache. I haven't had headaches in a while [knock on wood!] but this one was definitely not a welcomed stranger. No fun at all! I had a crained neck because we had a meeting at work and we all crammed in the tiny office to talk. Leaning up against a wall for about an hour isn't super fun. Ah!

But the meeting went well. The new manager said that it wasn't just a "new manager getting to know her employees" meeting, but it was a once-a-month meeting that she will do from now on, like she does at her other stands. It was pretty informative and went over a lot of the rules that I didn't know! We now have the option of having a weekly theme day like "green day" or "crazy hat day," as long as it's appropriate. We also got employee mugs that we are required to drink out of [well, a mug that we can drink out of, but we need to be drinking out of mugs and not customer cups anymore, which makes sense]. We can decorate them however we want to [I'm most likely just going to write my name fancily on it] and have to have a mug when we get our discount off the clock. Interesting, but understandable!

The manager also said that two lead positions would be opening.

I about squealed with delight over the possibility of getting more responsibility. She said to write her a letter and that was the very first thing I did when I got home [even with the headache]. Shelley is basically hands-down going to get one of the positions because she represents everything that BigFoot Java is and everyone said her name when the position was mentioned. I just hope that I have a chance at the second one. I know a few other people are interested in it [and I'm at the bottom of the seniority right now] so I'm not getting my hopes up.

My letter was three pages long and was printed on resume paper [how nice!]. Thank GOD the ink didn't run out before it finished. After the meeting and before coming home to get started on my letter, I swung by WalMart to get some things, including a new black ink cartridge for our printer. Go figure the number and brand we needed was the only one out of stock. I picked up some more green tea bags, Ranch dressing, grape juice [for Andrew], and a two-quart pitcher for work so that I can make my iced tea and simply pour it into my mug when I run out, saving me time making it over and over in the 16oz mug. I hope the pitcher won't be a problem.

But anyway, the schedule changed at work as well, per our new manager's wishes, and I'm kind of upset over it. Our weekend shifts are now like the weekday ones [which is understandable], meaning I lost two hours on both Saturday and Sunday. I went from having 28 scheduled hours a week [bare minimum I needed for my bills prior to rent going up, my phone bill going up, and before Netflix was coming out of my account] to 24, and two new people were hired.

A.) I've been asking for more hours and I'm the only person losing hours?

B.) Why would two new people get hired if there are only three shifts opening up [the recently abandoned 6:00am weekend shifts and one weekday 4:00pm shift, I'm pretty sure]?? Now there will be more people to cover shifts and I won't be able to make up my already lacking hours as easily as now!

C.) The shifts that were already covered on the calendar are going to have to be switched around again because instead of me working Saturday through Tuesday I work Friday through Monday [which is fine by me, with the exception of the lost hours] and certain shifts I signed up to cover are now on days I will be scheduled to work conflicting hours. Ah!

D.) The two new people that were hired are going to be trained by us and not the manager, meaning we will still be getting paid minimum wage, having to train someone, and have to basically be surprised when they are coming in because they both have other jobs.

Anyone else thinking, "Ah!!"? Just me? Whatever I guess. I'm not a manager anymore; I don't have the power to make any kind of decisions.

I did help make decisions about our Halloween decorations though.








FYI, I always use GeoCities for my picture uploads because I have run into so many pictures of Photobucket exceeding bandwidth and I didn't want that happening to me. This time, however, I logged into GeoCities and each time I clicked "Login" after typing in my password, it would go back to the homepage and act as if I didn't log in at all. By the way, why are "login" and "logout" both one word? Anyway, I went to Photobucket to make an account and apparently I already had one. I have an account on every website [seriously], and I used the same password. Wow. I had only two photos loaded on it:





Only a few select people will understand these pictures. Haha though!

But yea, that is our spooky Halloween yard.

...done blogging for now.

1 comment:

Milk said...

OH MY GOD, THAT PICTURE OF ME!

and is that not pr0n?