Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rebuttal

So in a nice way, someone commented on my last blog saying I had turned into a "snobby barista." By all means, everyone has their own opinions and freedom to express them to me and to anyone else without recourse, but I just want to set the record straight.

I am not a snobby barista. I am not a snobby person. I am super nice, loads of fun, and 99% of the time have an energetic and upbeat attitude [minus the 1% because nobody's perfect]. I enjoy my job soooo soso much that I can't even explain it so that anyone can fully understand. It's not about the money; if it was, I wouldn't be there. Yes, on an okay day when you add the minimum wage and the tips made, I would have made more than my previous job, but weekly I am scheduled 16 hours less here than there. With my rent going up $200 and my phone bill going up at least $20, the wage decrease and loss of hours kind of prove that it's not about money.

The only stresses at my job are when there is a shortage of something, be it cups or flavours or what have you. When you have to improvise and make alternative suggestions and decisions, especially when it's busy, it's kind of stressful. But with the recent promotion and comparing it to corporate bullshit at PacSun, the stress level is slim to none. If I had any gray hairs, the color has been reversed with the change in stress level.

I still am excited to go to work everyday [and would work everyday if I could because it's so fun and I thoroughly enjoy it] and I get excited to make the customers' drinks, regardless of their attitudes and behaviours toward me. My all time favourite is still making Iced Americanos when you pour in the cream-- so beautiful! I have been working at measuring the exact amount of milk to steam based on drink size, extra or less shots, whipping cream or not, etc. And I've been working at making it so that there are no left-overs with blended drinks. Perfecting what I love is what I do...

...and that's not something a snob would do, right?

The only reason that I blog about the weird customers is just that: they are w-e-i-r-d!!! I won't write a blog about the nice customer that opens up and tells you his or her life story and everytime they pull through you chit chat for at least ten minutes before making their drink [that you know by heart because you actually care about personalizing the experience as much as possible] because it's personal. If someone is a jackass and extremely rude and I want to vent about it, that's when I open up a New Post. This doesn't mean I'm a snob. A snob would be rude back to the jackass, and regardless of how rude the customer was, I would never EVER be rude back. Fight fire with love.

Not a snobby thing to do, right??

I just figured I would voice a response that wasn't snobby to show that however I seem to be on the Internet is not how I am in person, let alone in the window of the stand. I am blogging from a car on the way to our corporate meeting and am getting sick. Didn't help that I ate the stick of my lollipop and now have a disgusting taste in my mouth. ...I'm done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's no "nice" way for someone to call you a snob. People who fell it necessary to tell other people what kind of person they are simply by reading some of their thoughts are petty minded fools.

You can't truly know somebody unless you spent real time with them, through their ups and downs.

So for this "person" to even suggest you to be a snob is not in the least bit "nice".

Now my only concern is your need to blog about it... Is it out of your obvious love for being able to write down your thoughts and feelings as they come to you during the day? Or are you actually concerned about what another person (a complete stranger at that) thinks about you?

I hope for your sake and the sake of anyone else who reads this it's not the last one :)

Blog for you. No one else.