Monday, November 24, 2008

Lead the Way

So I actually have something to blog about! Being a Lead Barista means taking care of business, especially when that business requires $50 paid-outs and dealing with phone calls from corporate offices. With the paid-out situation I am thinking of, I got a back-room "build-a-cabinet" for our manager that she wanted so that A.) there would be more room for storage, and B.) so that the fax machine wasn't seven feet up on a shelf, no exaggeration. So I got it, the ClosetMaid 2 Door Organizer:




No big deal. I pretended it was an elliptical and followed the instructions TO THE TEE. I separated the wood pieces and the tiny accessory bits in alphabetical order according to the instruction booklet so that when the time came to use piece F on wood part B, I would know what it meant. I started hammering and piecing together everything and when it came time to do Step Four, I started scratching my head.


Does anyone else notice something weird about the placement of the magnetic squares verses the knob hole on the cabinet door to the right? I laughed because I am assuming that the designer of this instruction booklet thought he or she could save time by just somehow flipping the other image before adding the magnetic square, but forgot to before sending it to the printers. So I drilled the hole for the left cabinet door and did the same for the right cabinet door.

...the exact same.

I ended up with a drilled hole in the wrong spot on the cabinet door. I shouldn't have laughed at the drawing because I ended up putting it basically in the exact spot it showed. So much for following the instructions TO THE TEE. Thank goodness it was on the inside. No one's going to notice a hole on the inside of a cabinet door... right?

...right?




So after fixing this hilarious mistake, I make my way to Step Five.


I didn't mess this one up; this is probably because it actually came with pre-drilled holes for the knobs.

And now to Step Six.


So I thought I was missing this huge piece of wood called "G" but apparently everyone in the world but me knows that the back of a cabinet is simply a thick piece of paper NAILED to it! Oh, and did I mention it's an un-even piece of paper? It's like this on both sides:


Perfect. So I nailed it as best as I could--paper to wood-- and then went to put the cabinet doors on, only to discover that I accidentally put the bottom part of the cabinet upside down [LIKE AN IDIOT] so that the wood side was facing up on the inside and the finished side was touching the ground. That meant that A.) there were no "holes" for the "hinges" to stick into, B.) I had to flip it over, and C.) this meant taking out some of the nails... that are in PAPER. So I ended up ripping the paper, unscrewing the bottom part, flipping it over, and re-nailing it as best as possible to the piece of wood. Still was un-even, but now had rips in it. No one looks at the back of a cabinet...

...do they?

After fixing my mistake [which I came to realize was shown correctly in the image on the booklet... surprisingly], I put the cabinet doors in and took a look at my masterpiece:


After fixing my mistake and the mistakes of the designer, and putting it together EXACTLY how it was described, the doors didn't end up being level and now look like horseshit.

I was so proud.

At least now we can use the fax machine without being on a rickety ladder. Oh, that is if you make sure to plug in the phone line CORRECTLY when you move it down and not sit there for at least a half an hour dialing the vendor's number and wondering why it's not going through [oops!].

Yay me!

As for the second situation described earlier, I got to work today to learn that our computers were down, no credit, debit, or gift cards could be processed, and only one register was working for cash only. After talking to our manager for about 45 minutes, I finally understood what had happened but couldn't understand how to fix it. We went through stuff with the modem, the back computer, both registers, rebooting and re-plugging in all of them, and after all of that, ended up with the conclusion that no register should be touched so that it could "think" and fix itself.

Free drinks for everyone.

Finally, around 3:30 in the afternoon [a half hour before I'm supposed to leave], I get in touch with our corporate systems guy and tell him what's going on. We walk through stuff on the computer and he tells me he'll call me back. A DIFFERENT guy from the same corporate system place calls and asks what's going on. I talk to him and he says to call corporate to get a password from the CEO.

...from the CEO.

So I call and talk to the CEO's assistant, she says she'll call me back with the password [after trying like five different ones with different combinations of CAPS LOCK and regular], and I get another phone call from yet ANOTHER guy from the same corporate system place asking me what's going on. This guy talks me through everything and we get it fixed completely. All we had to do was delete some files and restart the computer again. Sounds simple, right? Well, it really did help to delete those files because they were

45 GIGABYTES IN SIZE!

I don't know if you know anything about computers, but my entire computer is about three times that. So it was like deleting 1/3 of my computer's entire file storage capacity. I only have about 57 GB of used space on here... and I have a LOT of stuff on here. How ridiculous is that?? So as my shift ended, we fixed the crisis and ended the day of free drinks.

Yay me!

After work I swung by Sears to check out the ellipticals. I tried them out, talked to the lady working there about different features, and decided on the Nordic Track E5 Si, which is going on sale on Black Friday:


The one on the right. No big deal. And Andrew's going to get his Hobart 250A Plasma Cutter:


No big deal.

So now I've got two days off and then I'm working Thanksgiving, Black Friday, doing a double Saturday and Sunday, work Monday, and have the 2nd off. These two days HAVE to be the most relaxing days EVER. I will have to take a long and hot bubble bath, play lots with the dogs, spend all of Wednesday with Andrew doing something extra fun [his day off too], and eat lots of junk food. I'll have it to remember during the work week.

Happy Shopping, ya'll! [And P.S. ... I found this neat website, BFAds.net, and yes, they have Black Friday ads already. Might be where I got the price for the soon-to-be-"my" elliptical. Might be where I looked at WalMart's ads EARLY, before they were even posted on the WalMart website. No big deal].

1 comment:

Milk said...

so i thought you were wearing a hooters shirt.